Top tip #4: 10 top tips to start and run a successful squat dental practice

by Anglian Dental on 1st September 2017


Top tip #4: 10 top tips to start and run a successful squat dental practice

New buildings or extensions to existing buildings require D1 planning permission. Altering the use of a building may also require you to obtain permission. There are various types of planning applications depending upon the nature of your project.

A good architect, designer or project consultant will inform you which one(s) are needed.

  1. Contact an experienced dental project consultant or architect. Don’t attempt to complete concept layout plans yourself or with a generic architect. We have seen this approach fail many times. A generic residential architect will struggle to include all the dental specific equipment and requirements in a drawing.
  2. Ask your dental architect or consultant if they honestly believe the application will succeed. They will gauge the likelihood of receiving an approval and, if unlikely, may advise you to re-think your plans. Your project consultant or architect will create drawings and provide supporting documentation to help the planning department make their decision
  3. Monitor similar, local planning activity on the local council website portal to identify opportunities or competition. New houses or extensions to similar buildings can sometimes help your own chances of approval and may signal the right time to begin your project. All planning application documents are public, so you should be able to view them online or by appointment.
  4. If obtaining planning permission proves difficult, try to get a ‘patients-lobby’ to help gain D1 use
  5. Obtain a minimum ten-year leasehold contract if premises are to be rented
  6. Ask your local planning office in advance if they are likely to grant D1 medical use.

Building control
As a service provider, you must obtain building control approval under the Regulatory Reform Order 2005.

Top tip #4: 10 top tips to start and run a successful squat dental practice [2]

In most cases, you will need to apply for building regulation consent. There is a significant difference between this and planning consent. When you make a planning application, the planning department considers the external appearance and the effect your proposal may have on adjoining properties and the local area. How your proposal will be constructed, the details of foundations, insulation and fire safety are not needed. These construction details are dealt with under national building regulations. However, the building regulations ensure, by inspection and approval, that the work is safe, minimises heat loss and makes provision for disabled access. The application cannot be flatly refused like a planning application.

You can apply to the council building control department or an independent approved inspector. Your dental architect or dental consultant can advise you of the best route for your project and will work with you until they are happy that the proposals comply with the full range of regulations.

 ← Previous: Top tip #3                                       Next: Top tip #5